Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Feather Sticks

I often see mention of feather sticks and as a lot of people know I'm a great proponent of their use, however what many people call feather sticks, is quite often nothing more than a pile of wood shavings. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with making and using shavings, i use them myself all the time, but to make a proper feather stick takes a bit of practice, so wanting to keep my feathering skills alive, i made this one yesterday afternoon from a piece of Hazel. OK this one is a little extravagant to say the least, proper feather sticks give, in my opinion, some advantages over shavings, you have your tinder and small kindling in one package, the wind doesn't blow it around all over the place and they will still light from a ferro rod if you get the feathers fine enough and you get a good flame height very quickly and if you are so inclined you can make some decorative objects such as the one above using the same skill set.

No comments:

Post a Comment