Sunday, 27 February 2011

Project Leuku - Part 2

As mentioned previously in my blog, i received a Leuku from a friend of mine in Norway and that i was going to re handle the blade, well i made a start on it today by removing the handle, what a job that was, i have no idea what adhesive they use in Norway, but man it was a job and a half to get the handle off, i got there eventually though as evidenced by the photograph to the left.

At the moment i have only cleaned up the blade and tang with some wire wool, the next job will be to rough carve the new handle before going for a permanent fix, i have elected to use a piece of English Elm for the handle for a few reasons, these being ;
  • It adds an English dimension to a Scandinavian knife and therefore crosses both cultures
  • Elm has a lovely grain to it, so it will hopefully look nice 
  • Elm is resistant to splitting and cracking
  • Elm is water resistant 
  • I like using Elm
    I'm not sure at the moment if I'm going to go with a hidden tang or bring the tail out of the end of the handle and peen it, I'm erring towards peening it just for the added safety and security it will give, need to make my mind up on that fairly quickly though.

    So that's where I'm at with this project so far, more photo's and information on it's progress to come in the coming days and weeks.

    1 comment:

    1. Look forward to seeing it finished Kepis. I think Elm will work really well. Ive yet to make a proper Leuku, always seems to be something more to make.

      ReplyDelete