Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Project Leuku - Part 5

I was intending to not work on the knife itself today, but it was too much of a distraction not to finish it, all the time i was working on the sheath for it, it was there in the corner of my eye, taunting me to finish it, so i succumbed to temptation.

A quick check confirmed the epoxy had set, so  i drew on the handle shape i wanted and then using a draw knife and sheath knife i carved the handle to the required shape and then came the long hard task of sanding it all down, starting at 60 grit and ending up on 2500 grit and every grit in between, the handle is a little thicker than a traditional Leuku would be, but as i was making this to suit my hand, and as i have big hands it made much more sense to make it to fit the hand that would be using it, once i reached the desired finish i gave the handle a liberal coat of Linseed oil and i shall repeat the process each day for a week of more to ensure the wood is fully treated and protected, although being Elm, it's  naturally split and water resistant anyway.

 
I might add a small plate made from Ash or even another bit of Elm over the pommel end to cover the end of the tang that is just visible, there again the pommel end shows of some magnificent grain patterns and colouration it would be a shame to cover it over, I'll leave that decision for another day i guess, I've had a lot of fun restoring this knife, learnt a few things along the way as well, I'm pretty chuffed with how it turned out as it's only the second blade I've ever put a handle on, all i have to do now is fix the carry strap and retention system to it.

4 comments: