Thursday, 3 March 2011

Watch The Birdie

Following my recent exploits into wooden fan carving, this afternoon, i figured it was time to bite the bullet and try a fan bird, so having selected a nice bit Ash with a good grain in it, i carved out the basics and then following some superb advice Ive been given i split the feathers out as thinly as i could, still a lot of room for improvement on this, but I'm getting there, the result of my effort is the bird pictured to the left.

I really enjoy making the fans and the birds, it's very therapeutic, I'm off up the woods tomorrow to collect some more raw materials, so all being well i can practice some more over the weekend, i think I'm going to have to make myself a better riving knife for this though, as the blade I'm using at the moment i don't think is best suited to the task.

2 comments:

  1. Tremendous Mark! You'll have no doubt seen Sean Hellman's excellent work and perhaps Del Stubbs' of Pinewood Forge too. Me? I wouldn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, i have to blame Sean for my mild addiction to these things, it was him who inspired me to give it a go, now the damned things are everywhere - lol

    ReplyDelete