Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Bow Drill Practice

I figured today id spend some time practicing the Bow Drill, like i didn't get enough practice a couple of weeks ago at the show, but I've always figured it doesn't hurt to practice.

So i made a few spindles up out of Hazel and four  hearth boards as pictured, from left to right they are Hazel, Sycamore, Willow and Sycamore again, the ember pan is made from Elm and my bearing block is the one i made a few weeks back from a pebble and it is without doubt the best bearing block I've ever used, comfortable and as the depression in the rock is now fairly well polished, it's more or less friction free.

In the end i lost count of the embers i made, but counting the burn holes there are 16 depressions and each one made more than a single ember, so a fairly productive day in all and a nice rest from the hand drill which has been my favoured friction fire lighting method of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment