Thursday, 29 September 2011

Hand Drill Spindles

Whilst i was up at my sit tree today i did a little bit of exploring around the general area, just to see what had been occuring, as i was bimbling around this view was presented to me, a whole shedful of Mullein, some dead and dry already, others recently expired and still slightly green and yet others that were still in flower.

Not wanting to waste such a valuable resource as this, i got out my pocket knife and harvested a few, well, it would have been rude not to, in the end i elected to collect just half a dozen stalks and as i collected them i gave them all a good shake just to make sure any seeds that were left on the stalks were distributed, therefore giving me further plants to harvest in the future.

Once i had shaken all the seeds out i sat in the shade of my faithful sit tree and cleaned up all the stalks with my SAK, just need to dry them all out a tad before they will be ready for use as hand drill spindles, oh yes, while i was there, i also collected about half a dozen second year growth elder stems as well, i figure with what i already had at home, i should just about have enough spindles to last me for some considerable time now.

2 comments:

  1. what kind of board do you use with those spindles? i've had good luck with some woods and horrible with others- thanks for th' info ~rico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Clematis hearths, works well too

      Delete