Thursday, 15 December 2011

Mora 511/510

One of my all time favourite knives is the Mora 511/510, sure I'm lucky as i have all manner of high end knives from a variety of different makers, and all bar a couple of 'specials', they all get used as well, but my everyday go to fixed blade knife is the 511/510.

Unfortunately Mora stopped the production of the 510, so I've been buying the 511's and cutting the finger guard off, to make it into a well a 510, the Mora is legendary amongst outdoor types such as ourselves, so i don't have to tell you the virtues of a Mora, but for those who don't know or are unsure, just get one, you wont be disappointed, and despite what many say about partial tang knives (although the 511/510 does have a good length tang) and how they are 'unsafe' and 'not strong enough', i have never  had one fail on me, even during tasks where by my own admission a different tool like a small axe would have been better suited to the task, like battening hard woods and even felling small trees.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have either of these models but just got my first 2 Moras both gifted to me. An 840MG and the 164 crooked knife. Gotta say for the price on them they are fabulous knives I use mine pretty much daily at one point or another

    ReplyDelete
  2. they take a lot of beating in my opinion, the Hultafors are eaqually as good as well and depending where you go to get them, cheaper than the Mora's

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you cut the finger guard off, will they still lock in the plastic sheath that comes with them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. they certainly do as the retaining 'lock' works on the handle not the guard

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good to know. I've considered cutting the finger guard down or off of some of mine. I wasn't sure that they would stay in the sheath, so I haven't don so, yet. I have a Hultafors knife and like it very much, but I have to have them shipped from England to the states, so they are more expensive than the MORAs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my first Hults from a friend of mine in Norway, since then though they have started to appear at various dealers in the UK and in some cases are cheaper than Mora's, they are superb knives though

    ReplyDelete