Monday, 5 December 2011

Vibrating Shuttle Machine

I was very lucky over the weekend as i received a Frister & Rossmann Vibrating Shuttle Machine, commonly known to you and I as a sewing machine.

I had advertised my requirement for one of these on the Freecycle network and within two or three days of making my post, a very nice lady contacted me as said she had this and if i wanted it, it was mine, so off i went to collect it.  I needed a machine to use with some underprivileged people i work with as it's slower and therefore safer than using a more modern electric machine, and being hand cranked, it will also mean when they use this machine, they will have to think about what they are doing.

Ive done a bit of research on the machine and from the serial number I've ascertained it was made in the late 1920's, but despite it's age, it's still incredibly smooth and quiet when in use, also with the machine were all of the original accessories, including spare feet, screwdrivers and would you believe the original packet of spare needles, all I've had to replace on the machine was the small rubber ring on the bobbin winder, and apart from that, all the machine needed was a bit of a clean up, a bit of oil here and there and off it went, it's wonderfully smooth to use and will no doubt become a favourite tool of those who will use it.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a work of art Kepis, well done mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just acquired one of these from my Mum in law to try and get it working for my nearly 14 year old daughter. She has learning difficulties and Iknow an electric machine would be too uncontrolable.

    I can't seem to work out how to thread the shuttle and wonder if you have any instructions. My bobbinn slips into the top of the shuttle and there is a long groove which the thread obviously has to pass through but there I get stuck - or rather the thread does!

    Any help much appreciated, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll try to explain this as best i can, slide the bobbin into the shuttle, then take the end of the thread and run it underneath the metal clip at the pointed end of the bobbin holder and pull it through, ensuring the thread runs free in the long groove you mentioned, then place it into the machine and away you go.

      Hope that helps?

      Delete
  3. Thank for that. I had actually done it right but had too much thread on the bobbin for it to run so it was jamming.
    I go the machine working so just need to finish polishing it and getting it ready for Dd's birthday in two weeks.

    It's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gl;ad you got it sorted out in the end, it's a lovely machine

    ReplyDelete