Monday, 25 June 2012

Mora Spoon Knives

Over the years there has been a great deal of talk about how rubbish the Mora spoon knives are and how people should avoid them like the plague, well i disagree.

OK, from the factory they are blunt and i do mean blunt, but lets not forget though, these are mass produced blades, so the quality is never going to be like a Ben Orford, Svante Darve etc,  but with a little bit of time & effort, the Mora knives can be made into good usable tools.

I'm not talking about hours of work either, I'm talking about ten minutes effort to bring these tools up to par and make these mass produced tools, into good working tools, that will see you right for years, and yes, even though I'm fortunate enough to own a few hand made spoon knives, i also use Mora spoon knives on a weekly basis, not just for my own personal carving, but also when i teach spoon carving, why do i use a Mora?, well it's simple, per the above, they are good tools, but I also use a Mora, because that is what the students are using and if i can carve a spoon using a Mora, so can they, a point that was bought home to me a long time ago when a student commented that " i could only do it because my knife was better than theirs", it was a fair & valid point, so from that point on when im instructing, I've used exactly the same tools as those issued to the students, be that a Mora 511 or spoon knife, as doing so removes all element of doubt as to the effectiveness of the tools being used.


So what do you need to do to bring a mediocre mass produced tool up to par, well rather than go into masses of detail about how to make these tools better in this post, if you look at a post i made a while back about sharpening a spoon knife, it will explain the tools you need and the methodology behind sharpening a spoon knife, once you have made the tools you need, the whole process should take you less than ten minutes to get a seriously good workable edge on the Mora spoon knives.

Sean Hellman also has an excellent video where he shows how to bring one of these tools up to scratch, his video can be seen here

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for post, Kepis! I think Mora knives can be used perfectly well. Especially the laminated series stay sharp for long time if sharpen properly. Sean Hellman´s sharpening video is excellent!
    I´m not qualified craftman, just hobby one (and still learning). I work with three Mora and two Iisakki knives and believe I will need no other. As I figured out, results of woodwork depends mainly on skills, not only tools.

    Best wishes
    Forest Turtle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skills not tools! that should be the motto of bushcraft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spot on, the skill is in the user, not the tool

      Delete
  3. I know a touch older post but gotta say I like them especially the 164. Yep and they do require a bit of work to make them useable but dollar wise they are a pretty decent value. Despite people calling them junk like you Kep I disagree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, Kep! I finally got around to carving my first spoon and am looking for an affordable knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you wont go wrong with one of these Ron

      Delete