Monday, 4 June 2012

Scotch Eyed Auger

Thought id make a little post about some Scotch Eyed Augers i recently bought, these are approx 12" in length and have a diameter of 5/8".

If you don't have an auger in your camp kit, all i can say is get one, i bought four of these to compliment the two 1" augers i also use, the things you can make in the woods with just this simple tool are amazing, from simple stools to sit on, to more elaborate things such as tables for use at a permanent camp right up to using it to make a permanent camp as well, of course they can also be used for taping the Birch & Maple trees for their sap in the spring and a whole host of other bushcraft projects, that are limited only by your imagination.

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about an auger for my pack for some time. I had in mind a 3/4" stubby auger because I didn't think that I would need to drill any deep holes. I have a set of short augers with 1/4" hex shanks that I was planning to make a T-handle for. I like the idea of the Scotch Eye, but I don't know that I can find any in the states. I can probably make a handle that I could use with the hex shanks. I Don't know whether I would prefer the T-handle or a brace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The T handle is superb as it allows greater leverage and it means you dont have to carry a brace with you when out and about, just need to find a strong stick of the right diameter to go through the eye.

      Scotch eye augers can be difficult to find, i dont think ive ever seen one of the stubby ones over here, apart from the ones that have the hex drive, i know where you are coming from, i rarely drill holes more than an inch or so deep and the 12" length is a bit long.

      I got mine from my mate HUGO on BCUK, think he still has a few left and i know he ships international

      Delete
    2. I'll do some experimenting and see what I like. I agree with you on the T-handle, but a lot would depend on where I was going and what I was planning to do. Much can be accomplished with a few branches and a knife.

      Delete