Sunday, 12 August 2012

Little Whittler - Five Months On

Thought it was about time i wrote a little bit about the Little Whittler knife i got back in March this year from my good mate Hugo on BCUK.

Per the title I've used this knife for approx five months now, and in that time, it has become one of my go to blades and I'm not just saying that because i got this from a mate, Hugo would want me to be 101% honest with any comments and that is what is going to happen.

So, yes, this little knife is a favourite, it's used on an almost daily basis, for all manner of things from cutting garden twine to spoon carving and even for removing the breast meat on Pigeons, it's very comfortable to use, even for extended periods of time and I've not once experienced a hot spot with it, the blade holds a razors edge and being a scandi grind, is a doddle to bring back to scary sharp, in fact I've not once taken this knife to the sharpening stones in the time ive had it, all I've ever needed to do is to strop the edge, to bring it back sharp again.

The size of this knife makes it perfect for it's intended task of whittling and i use this over and above my Mora 106 etc and even my Orford Sloyd knives, give way to this tool, the other bonus that comes with a knife of this size, is it makes a perfect neck knife, the handle is such that it gives a good solid grip, even for my canoe paddle hands and the blade size is spot on in my opinion for the common tasks often performed by a neck knife and it's light enough to not weigh you down or get in the way.

Hugo doesn't make these to order, so if you want one, I'm afraid you are going to have to keep an eye on the Makers Market on BCUK and wait until he puts some more up for sale, and then hope you are quick enough to get one, and no,  i don't know when he will be making more.

So are there any drawbacks to the knife?, well a couple, the small size means you cant really baton wood or perform heavier tasks with it, but the knife was never intended to be used that way, the other drawback and this is quite a major one, is this -  i wish i had got three or four of them when i had the chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment