Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Leuku - Re Handle - Part 2

I was hoping to be going on a bimble today with Hugo & Rockmonkey from BCUK, but an ongoing injury to my right knee kind of paid to that, so instead, i finished off the re handle job on the Leuku.  I had originally re handled this back in February to March last year, but the handle materials i chose and the way i went about the job didn't work out as well as i had hoped and the handle became loose on the tang, so i knocked it off and put the blade to one side in the workshop - as you do.

On Monday of this week, i thought it was about time i made an effort and got the Leuku handle made, more on the beginnings of the re handle job can be read about here http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/leuku-re-handle-again.html, having left the epoxy a couple of days to cure properly, today it was time to get round to the final shaping, the result of which can be seen in the photo's.

I was going to put a brass pommel on the Leuku, but in the end, i decided against it and instead used a piece of well seasoned Ash that i collected from the woods a year or so a go, the handle itself was first rough carved and then progressively sanded down, first using 80 grit paper to refine and further shape the handle, then down through the grits to 600 grit paper, once everything was smooth, i gave it a good coat of Linseed oil and polished the wood using super fine wire wool.

Considering, it's only the fourth or is it fifth time I've ever made a knife in my life, and that includes re handling this one twice now, I'm more than happy with he way it has turned out, now to make a sheath for it.

8 comments:

  1. Ash was a nice choice! When in doubt, go with wood. Thanks for the inspiring project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, when i came in from the 'Man Cave', i realised i had two big pieces of Rams horn i could have used instead of the Ash, guess i can always use that if the Ash doesnt work out over time?.

      Delete
  2. Good job :D I still had wanted do a knife, but the blades are expensive, and can I do this ?

    ( Forgive my english )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, these knife blades can be picked up fairly cheaply, try www.brisa.fi putting the handle on is not that difficult, if i can do it, then anyone can, you just need to take that first step

      Delete
  3. That´s certainly a good job done, even if ash is not my favourite wood for knife handles, it´s certainly beautiful to boot. I especially like the butt cap!

    I came across your blog only recently in earnest:-), and I regret that!;-) Great blog you have here... I follow you now on Fimbulmyrk.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mate, the Ash is only used as the contrasting piece for the cap, the rtest of the handle is Walnut.

    I will go and have a look at your blog in a moment

    ReplyDelete