Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Morakniv Basic Wood Carving Knife

Just bought myself a couple of these to give them a try out, my main reasoning being, well one of my main reasons other than the cost, is when teaching carving i use Mora 510's and 511's and this new carving knife from Mora retains that classic handle shape, which i think may be a better option for students, as they will retain continuity of grip throughout the day and therefore, i think, will be subject to less hand fatigue, as they will not have to keep swapping and changing to different handle shapes as they do now, obviously it's not an issue for experienced carvers as we have trained our hands and have established the muscle memory, but novice carvers do suffer from a lot of hand fatigue, as they are simply not used to using the tools, by retaining some continuity between the two knives used, it will hopefully help to make things a little easier for them.

4 comments:

  1. Why this particular blade? Just curious. I have a couple of wood handled MORAs, one with a blade like this and one with a much shorter blade, kind of like the last inch and a half to the tip of this blade. It strikes me that the small blade would be better suited to chip carving. I probably use mine more for leather. I haven't used the long blade much at all.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why this blade?, ive always preferred the Mora 106 to the shorter 120, the length of the blade suits the type of carving and finishing i do and the very fine tip, i find, helps to achieve a nice fine tooled finish, i have half a dozen of the shorter 120's but i rarely use them.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the 106. I'm an inexperienced spoon carver and regularly nick myself with the shorter bladed 120 as it comes off the end of the spoon. The longer 106 doesn't seem to be as blood thirsty, which seems to go against your intuition of shorter blade must be safer. It's just my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree, ive nicked myself more with shorter blades than longer ones, in fact, my worst knife injury, i did with the smallest blade i own, a 1" pick knife, i can only assume that when using a longer blade, we are perhaps more aware of where the tip is?

      Delete