Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Pocket Stove

Went for the first bimble of 2013 today with my old muckers Rockmonkey & Hugo, we decided that for a change we would take our wood burning stoves with us to make brews on, i took my Pocket Stove, RM took his Hobo stove and Hugo took his gas burner (good man) as it took us an age to get a decent fire going in the Pocket Stove, as everything was sopping wet, not surprising considering the amount of rain we have had, but we got there in the end, although, it was a good job Hugo did take his gas burner, as without it i think the number of brews today would have been limited.

The Pocket Stove is not a bad little stove, sure it's heavy compared to what else is available on the market such as the very popular Honey Stove, but i cant afford a Honey Stove at the moment and therefore use the Pocket Stove (PS), what i do like about the PS is it folds up and can be set up really quickly thanks to it's hinged construction, the weight of the unit for some will be a major issue, but it doesn't bother me that much, i have to admit that the stove doesn't get the use it deserves as it can be a bit fiddly to use, but i guess until such time that i can afford a Honey Stove or lay my hands on a second hand one, the PS will get used for those times when we/I decide to have a wood fired cuppa.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sold on the tiny wood stoves. It's an interesting idea and could be worthwhile on longer trips where carrying enough fuel could be a problem. I enjoy cooking with wood and try to as often as I can, but I think that I will use one of my gas or liquid fueled stoves for short trips. You didn't bring any pine knots or fatwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pine forests around here Bill, well nopt in the areas we visit most frequently, it's all deciduous woodland :-(

      Delete
  2. I use a wild stove woogas stove,for walking, fishing.
    Combind with some Birch bark for tinder this piece of kit has never let me down Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im thinking about going back to a good old fashioned Hobo stove or even saving some pennies for a Honey Stove, the Pocket Stove is good, but it's too fiddly, at least with a hobo stove i could get some decent feather sticks in the burner

      Delete
  3. Have you tried the Trangia Triangle, I know you need a meths burner in conjunction, but folds down very flat and is very reliable...

    ReplyDelete